Splatter Mask from Shadowhouse Creations Image from Pixabay BG from Dawn Chorus by DaisyTrail
Flowers from Victoria Nelson - Butterfly Meadow Kit
I have received a suggestion that an explanation of how I did this page might be helpful so here it is. I did it as part of a challenge elsewhere with a tutorial provided for same.
1. Open the image you want to work with.
2. Using the rectangle marquee tool drag out a rectangle the size you want but smaller than the size of the overall image.
3. Use Ctrl+J (for a PC) Ctrl+Command (for a Mac) to put your selection on it’s own layer. Do this twice as you need 2 copies.
4. You should now have 3 layers. Your background layer, (your image) Your middle and top layers that are your smaller selection. (see my layers-01 example below)
5. Highlight the middle layer, Make sure Black is the top colour in your colour picker, use Alt Shift Backspace to fill your middle layer selection with black. (see my layers-02 below)
6. On your middle black selection layer. Go to Filter, Blur, Gaussian Blur. Move the blur slider to zero. Now move your slider up in number, until you like the effect. This should give you a shadow around your entire selection.
aaaaaaand you are done...
You can of course experiment with different shapes it doesn't have to be a rectangle...
Using the tutorial was easy, however, it doesn't work as well with dark photos, so I added a narrow white outline to the selection. And, as usual when I don't have any other ideas, I put a slight glow on the main photo to soften the edges.
Thanks for the tips Lillias. I learned a couple of things.
In this example, I did not create two layers of the selection, but added an outer glow to the one.
The text was taken from All About Birds an excellent website.
Sony A7III FF mirrorless, Sony FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G OSS lens, FE 24mm F1.4 GM lens, Sony FE 24-105mm f/4 G OSS, 70-400G, 70-300G, Sony A77 APS-C, Sony 16-80 CZ, Minolta 100 macro. Currently using PSE 2018, but had PSE 11, 10, 8, 6 and 3; PS LE and full PS.
Clive with a bit of imagination this tutorial can be adapted in various ways. How you have used it here works well. Really nice presentation of that great image. I had to laugh when I read the text. I think if I was sitting on a cactus plant I ‘just might’ make a raw scratchy or more like screechy noise that sounds like a car trying to start up - and then some...
Lillias PSE 11,13,15,2020 Topaz Studio 2 Smart Photo Editor 64 bit Windows 10 Home